Location: Head office, Navi Mumbai Reporting to: MDJob DescriptionDefinition:
Overall responsibility and accountability for delivering value through the creation of quality products at target costs and supplies to customers across the country. It encompasses leading the manufacturing operations teams at the different production sites, procurement of resources, converting materials to finished goods through in-house or outsourced capabilities at the company’s plants, and prompt delivery to the customers. It involves people and budgetary management and taking sound business decisions. The Supply Chain Management will involve the entire procurement and sourcing function and will also cover establishing a centralized buying strategy, finding alternate materials, price forecasting in short and medium terms, and delivering value. The Manufacturing function will focus on the conversion of materials and will cover the uses of various processes and methods to transform raw materials into finished goods to required standards of quality, cost, delivery, and safety, while meeting all the statutory compliances satisfactorily, at the company’s plants at Tarapur, Pune, Navi Mumbai, Baroda, Faridabad, and others.Overall Purpose of the Role:
- Strategic and tactical responsibility for implementing procurement, manufacturing, and delivery strategy to achieve operational goals to enhance customer satisfaction and to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost, and timely and full deliveries, maximizing efficiency, optimizing production levels, zero defects, zero lost sales and thus driving operational excellence.
- Work closely with internal and external key stakeholders, regarding technical support for activities, striving for best-in-class products and business practices to ensure accurate forecasting through efficient implementation of the S&OP process, delivering the customer’s expectations, managing teams, and important projects across the business.
- Provide clear leadership and vision, inspire, and motivate staff to achieve excellence, and mentor them as they develop new skills.
- Drive Key Performance Indicators across all functions to ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards.
- Ensure Health, Safety, and Environmental issues are prioritized and facilitated.
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements and company and international standards of health, safety, environment, and quality.
- Lead from the front and drive implementation of Lean Business strategy and drive Continuous Improvement across all manufacturing-related areas of the business.
Strategy and Development:
- Overall responsibility for Procurement and Manufacturing activities across the business
- Create and implement best practice policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve business performance
- Ensure that strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality, and delivery targets and which enables the company to function and compete effectively in the market
- Take due cognizance and evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take decisive action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
- Take ownership of the supply chain policy, guidelines, and any associated documents and drive continual improvement.
- Initiate and develop creative and innovative manufacturing and product packaging processes.
General and Task Management:
- Lead, develop and implement cost reduction programs across all areas of responsibility
- Implement a customer-focused operational culture delivering world-class customer service levels
- Coordinate team activities to optimize the cost performance of the SCM team and the manufacturing plants under her/him through capital investment programs, optimizing operating working capital usage and minimizing waste through the development of a continuous improvement culture encompassing lean principles and clear strategic development
- Develop and manage accurate forecasts, master production schedules, and operations budgets for products to directly support and ensure that the product is delivered to agreed cost, quality, and timelines.
- Continuously monitor price movements of commodities and other materials and implement appropriate stocking strategy.
- Ensure vendor satisfaction and develop their loyalty towards the organization.
- Monitor vendor performance and take actions like change in share of the business and/or developing new vendors.
- Oversee planning and execution of maintenance activity to ensure each plant is kept safe, productive, and compliant
- Drive improvements in reliability for key aspects of plant machinery by completing reliability studies and identifying the best-planned maintenance strategy
- Operate a process for the safe selection of external contractors and ensure that all external maintenance contracts are regularly reviewed to ensure the best value
- Provide inputs for economic manufacturability at early stages in the development of new formulations, coordinating with and supporting the product development teams to implement new and revised product formulations, setting critical controls, and developing effective processes to ensure manufacturability of the final product while maintaining quality, safety, and environmental standards and achieving cost targets
- Manage the fault-free and on-time introduction of new products.
- Drive new project management which may involve new plant installations and ensure timely project execution within agreed budgets. Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, manufacturing, and quality standards and procedures are adhered to.
- Provide leadership to departments under control and coach, mentor, and develop the direct reports, and manage a high-performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value, and cost reductions
- Establish a strategy and best practices for staff to ensure the achievement of overall business objectives. Work with each of the reporting team to translate strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives including KPIs, and to track them
- Ensure that the departmental objectives are set well in advance and monitor ongoing progress and performance
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate the exchange of information and to implement change and improvements
- Ensure that each team operates in accordance with any health, safety, and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and well-being of staff and visitors
- Be responsible for developing the appropriate organizational structure, resource plans, and culture to support the Company Vision, Mission, Values, business objectives, and customer deliverables
- Provide leadership, coordination, and coaching to the teams, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
- Complete regular performance reviews, and manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues, and procedures as appropriate in collaboration with the HR function.
- Establish a program with HR to map and improve the skills and competencies of people. Do suitable organizational changes to link competencies with the roles and responsibilities of people reporting to her/him.
Financial and Budget Management:
- Be responsible for the preparation of annual budgets, getting approvals, and compliance related to supply chain, business operations, and manufacturing.
- Consolidate the annual Capital Expenditure proposals including those related to ensuring statutory compliances and meeting applicable quality, safety, health, and environmental standards. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects.
- Manage costs of manufacturing and logistics through efficient coordination and synchronization, adopting principles of lean, Kaizen, 5S, problem-solving, and loss reduction to add Economic Value.
- Implement a robust system across business and technical functions to identify hazards, risk evaluation, and risk management.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Proactively work with Finance, Sales and Marketing, product development, IT, and other functions to incorporate best practices into the operations environment
- Report on activities regularly to the Senior Management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators
- Work collaboratively, negotiate, and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the broader Marketing strategy
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of technology change and potential effects on the supply chain, manufacturing, and delivery. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimizing cost
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on activities for which she/he is accountable and responsible.
- Review environmental strategies that impact future ways of operating and ensure implementation where possible
- Review the use of technological systems that support a more environmentally friendly approach
- Review opportunities to enhance the image of the organization to be seen as environmentally friendly.
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
- Inspire and motivate the team
- Consistently manage team member performance firmly and fairly
- Be resilient, optimistic, and open to change
- Show moral courage, openness, and honesty in all dealings
- Be confident, assertive, and self-assured
- Have an Adult: Adult, collaborative approach to others
Skills and Attributes that are vital:
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimize team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- Strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and influencing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Results orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience in managing budgets
- Resilient, self-motivated, and able to work well under pressure
- Technical mindset
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
- Educated to degree level (preferably Master) in a relevant engineering
/manufacturing/business discipline or equivalent qualification.
- Postgraduatete degree in management with specialization in general management or operations management
- Preferably a member of an industry-related Professional Body
- Demonstrable experience in leading business operations involving SCM and manufacturing functions with a proven track record in strategic leadership delivering effective strategies, policies, processes, and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
- Proven project management and product quality experience
- Experience in operating and influencing at a strategic level
- Knowledge and technical understanding of organic and inorganic chemical processes, formulations, manufacturing techniques, and customer applications.