Job Title: Mechanical Design Head
Education: BE / B.Tech + ME / M.Tech / MBA preferred (Mechanical / Mechatronics / Structural Engg.)
Experience – 10+ years
Mechanical Design experience in a similar role ideally within conveyor systems for automotive industry, Pharma Industry, Ecommerce etc.
Familiarity with technical specifications, Knowledge of Material handling systems (desirable)
Software Knowledge: AutoCAD & Autodesk Inventor
Summary: Responsible for the mechanical design of a wide range of conveyor, material handling products used within automotive industry assembly, storage, logistic applications and also providing technical support to other company departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The mechanical design of Conveyors systems for automotive industry, examples of which; Car assembly line conveyor systems, Truck assembly line conveyor systems, Vehicle subassembly conveyor systems, Floor & overhead conveyor systems for BIW, painted body, buffer storage, logistics, Ecommerce, ASRS etc.
- Carries out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, simulation (e.g. stress analysis) and design verification testing, as required.
- Agreeing the mechanical design approach with the Engineering Manager and Senior Mechanical Design Engineers
- Responsible for the specification compliance of designs
- Responsible for mechanical part selection taking into consideration obsolescence, availability and cost
- Responsible for preparing and presenting mechanical designs at design reviews
- If required, generates minutes from Design Reviews
- Ensures design files and information are kept up to date and stored in accordance with departmental procedures
- Highlights all mechanical technical risks to the Engineering Manager
- Keeps up to date with the latest manufacturing techniques and drawing standards
- Liaises with other departments to ensure that the required information is available when needed and customer requests are dealt with in a timely manner
- Follows departmental processes relating to management of designs
- Responsible for identifying mechanical part numbers in accordance with the material finishes
- Responsible for creation of 2D/3D drawings to allow manufacture or purchase
- Responsible for production of Customer Procurement (CP) drawings for new products
- Responsible for generation of Assembly drawings and bills of materials
- Responsible for meeting design to cost figures
- Responsible for carrying out design change requests in a timely manner
- Ensures the mechanical design output fits in with all other aspects of the design
- Works closely with operations, manufacturing and production engineers to ensure products are designed for manufacture
- Responsible for reporting progress of all assigned tasks to the Engineering Manager and Project Management teams
- Creation of technical reports and documentation as required for automotive assembly /logistics projects.
- Is available for onsite customer support (presentations and fault finding) as required
- Ability to understand/produce technical drawings
- Ability to co-ordinate with the other discipline engineers (electrical and site) within the department to produce multidisciplinary design solutions
- Confident, proactive character, ability to take the lead in challenging situations
- Good communication skills, dealing with other employees and external clients
- Good IT skills
- Good written and Oral communication skills, Self-motivated, Team player, Effective problem solving capabilities, Committed to undertaking professional development.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.