what is an SEO specialist?
An SEO (search engine optimisation) specialist is a professional who helps improve a website's visibility on search engine results pages (SERPs). Your primary goal is to increase organic traffic to the site, driving more visitors and potential customers to the business. By using a combination of on-page and off-page optimisation techniques, you ensure that websites adhere to search engine guidelines and rank higher for relevant keywords.
As an SEO specialist, you conduct keyword research, optimise website content, and analyse site performance. You also engage in link building, develop and implement SEO strategies, and collaborate with content creators, web developers, and other digital marketing professionals. Technical SEO skills, such as site speed and website architecture optimisation, are also crucial for an SEO specialist.
If this sounds like an appealing profession to you, continue reading to learn more about the responsibilities, work environment, and qualifications needed to become an SEO specialist.find your job
average SEO specialist salary
According to Payscale, the average salary of an SEO specialist is ₹296,300 per year. Generally, entry-level SEO specialists can expect to earn around ₹197,251 a year. Experienced SEO specialists can earn up to ₹500,000 per year. Additionally, as an SEO specialist, you can boost your income through performance-based bonuses or by working on multiple projects.
factors that affect an SEO specialist’s pay
The size and industry of the company you work for can impact your pay. Large corporations and well-established firms typically offer higher salaries compared to small businesses or start-ups. It is also the case that certain industries, such as e-commerce and technology, may have a higher demand for SEO experience and are willing to pay more for skilled professionals.
Your level of experience also plays a significant role in determining your salary. As you gain more experience and demonstrate success in improving website rankings and traffic, you will be in a better position to negotiate a higher salary. Having relevant certifications and qualifications can also make you more valuable to potential employers, potentially leading to higher pay. For instance, possessing certifications in Google Analytics or Google Ads can demonstrate your commitment to staying current with industry trends and best practices.
types of SEO specialists
The most common types of SEO specialists include:
- on-page SEO specialist: as an on-page SEO specialist, you focus on optimising individual web pages to rank higher and generate more relevant traffic. This includes keyword research, meta tags optimisation, content optimisation, and ensuring a positive user experience. You'll collaborate with content creators and web developers to implement these optimisations.
- off-page SEO specialist: off-page SEO specialists concentrate on improving a website's authority, credibility, and online reputation through link-building and other strategies. Your responsibilities include analysing and acquiring high-quality backlinks, engaging in social media marketing, and managing online business listings and citations.
- technical SEO specialist: technical SEO specialists are responsible for optimising a website's technical aspects to improve its performance in search engine rankings. This includes site speed optimisation, mobile-friendliness, website architecture, and structured data implementation. Your expertise in coding and web development is crucial for addressing these technical SEO elements.
working as an SEO specialist
As an SEO specialist, you play a key role in driving a website's success in the digital landscape. Your expertise in optimising websites for search engines helps businesses grow and succeed online. Continue reading to learn more about the duties, work environment, and qualifications required for this profession.
SEO specialist job description
The specific duties of an SEO specialist include:
- keyword research: identify relevant and high-performing keywords to target in website content and meta tags using various keyword research tools and competitor analysis.
- on-page optimisation: ensure that web pages are optimised for targeted keywords, including meta tags, header tags, and content optimisation.
- off-page optimisation: implement strategies to build high-quality backlinks, manage business citations, and engage in social media marketing.
- technical SEO: optimise a website's technical aspects, such as site speed, mobile-friendliness, and website architecture, to improve search engine performance.
The work environment for an SEO specialist is typically an office setting, although remote work is increasingly common in the field. You may work in-house for a company or as part of an agency, collaborating with other digital marketing professionals, such as content creators, web developers, and social media managers. The job can be fast-paced and deadline-driven, as search engine algorithms are continually evolving, requiring you to stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices.
who are your colleagues?
As an SEO specialist, you'll work alongside various professionals in the digital marketing landscape. Content writers are essential collaborators, as they produce the written, visual, or multimedia content that you optimise for search engines. Web developers and designers are also crucial colleagues, as they're responsible for creating and maintaining the technical aspects of websites that impact SEO performance.
In addition to these roles, you may collaborate with social media managers who handle a company's social media presence and can assist with off-page SEO strategies. You also interact with marketing managers, project managers, and account managers as they coordinate and oversee marketing campaigns and client relationships.
Within an agency setting, you might work closely with digital marketers and other SEO specialists, sharing knowledge and expertise to develop comprehensive SEO strategies. In contrast, in-house roles may involve working directly with a company's marketing department, focusing solely on the organisation's website and online presence.
The work schedule of an SEO specialist is typically a standard work week of 40-48 hours, with most of your time spent in front of a computer. However, the nature of the job may require occasional overtime or weekend work to meet project deadlines or address urgent website issues. Remote work opportunities and freelance positions offer more flexibility in terms of work hours and location, allowing you to better balance your personal and professional life.
The job outlook for SEO specialists in India is quite promising since the demand for skilled professionals in this field continues to grow. With the increasing importance of online presence for businesses, the need for experts who can help websites rank higher in search results is on the rise. This growth in demand offers numerous job opportunities and room for advancement within the industry.
As an SEO specialist, you can progress to more senior roles, such as an SEO manager, digital marketing manager, or even a marketing director. The experience and skills gained in this profession also make you well-suited for other digital marketing roles, such as content marketing or social media management. In order to stay competitive in the job market, it's crucial to keep up with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies. Pursuing additional certifications and professional development courses can help you maintain a competitive edge and enhance your career prospects.
advantages of finding an SEO specialist job through randstad
Finding your SEO specialist job through Randstad provides important advantages such as:
- a wide variety of training and development opportunities
- an experienced contact person to provide help if needed
- a range of opportunities in your area
- get paid on a monthly basis
- temporary and permanent contracts
Want a permanent contract? A temporary job as an SEO specialist is often a stepping stone to an attractive permanent job. Every year, thousands of people earn a permanent contract with great employers thanks to a temporary job found through Randstad. What's more, many companies recruit their permanent employees through Randstad too!
education and skills
Some of the academic qualifications for SEO specialists include:
- bachelor's degree: although not always required, having a bachelor's degree in marketing or another related field provides you with a solid foundation for a career as an SEO specialist. This educational background helps you develop essential skills in marketing principles, digital communication, and business strategy.
- digital marketing course: pursuing a digital marketing course helps you gain a comprehensive understanding of the various aspects of online marketing, including SEO, social media, and content marketing. These courses often cover the latest trends, tools, and techniques used in the industry, providing you with practical knowledge that can be applied directly to your work.
- google analytics certification: as an SEO specialist, proficiency in using Google Analytics is essential for tracking website performance and making data-driven decisions. Obtaining Google Analytics certification demonstrates your expertise in this tool and your commitment to staying current with the industry's best practices.
SEO specialist skills and competencies
Some of the qualities of an SEO specialist include:
- analytical skills: SEO specialists need to be able to analyse data, identify patterns, and make data-driven decisions. You track website performance, assess keyword effectiveness, and evaluate competitor strategies.
- content creation and optimisation: SEO specialists should have a solid grasp of content creation and optimisation, including keyword research, writing engaging and relevant content, and ensuring the content adheres to SEO best practices.
- communication and collaboration: you have strong communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with content creators, web developers, and other digital marketing professionals.
FAQs about working as an SEO specialist
Here, you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the profession of SEO specialist.
what does an SEO specialist do?
An SEO specialist helps improve a website's visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) by optimising its content, structure, and off-page factors to attract more organic traffic and rank higher for relevant keywords.
what is the difference between an SEO specialist and a digital marketing manager?
An SEO specialist focuses solely on optimising a website's visibility in search engine results, while a digital marketing manager oversees a wider range of online marketing strategies, including SEO, social media marketing, email marketing, and online advertising. The digital marketing manager is typically responsible for developing and implementing an overall digital marketing strategy for a company or client.
can I become an SEO specialist without a degree?
Yes, it is possible to become an SEO specialist without a degree, although having one can give you a competitive edge in the job market. Instead, focus on acquiring the necessary skills through online courses, certifications, and hands-on experience. Demonstrating a strong portfolio of successful SEO projects and a deep understanding of industry best practices can help you secure a position in this field.
is SEO specialist a good career in India?
Yes, SEO specialist is a promising career in India, particularly due to the growing demand for skilled professionals in the digital marketing field. The increasing importance of online presence for businesses offers numerous job opportunities and room for advancement within the industry.
can I work remotely as an SEO specialist?
Yes, many SEO specialist positions offer remote work opportunities, allowing for greater flexibility in terms of work hours and location. Some SEO specialists also work as freelancers, taking on multiple clients and projects from the comfort of their own homes.
how do I apply for an SEO specialist vacancy?
Applying for an SEO specialist job is easy: create a Randstad profile and search our job offers for vacancies in your area. Then simply send us your CV and cover letter. Need help with your application? Check out all our job search tips here!